Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Where Does it Say in the Torah to Await Moshiach?

The opening words of the Aseres Hadibros are "I am Hashem your G-d who took you out of the land of Egypt..." Now, of all the wonders that G-d performed, why did He choose to the Exodus as His principal acheivement. Hashem created the world - why didn't He mention that? Additionally, one could ask, what "commandment" lies in these words - surely they are not mere introductory phrases?
The Gemara (שבת לא, א) says that when a person comes up to heaven he is asked "did you await the redemption?" Where in the Torah is one commanded to do so?
Right here. "Hashem says 'Just as I wish for you to believe that I redeemed you from Egypt, I command you to believe me that I am the Lord your G-d; in the future I will gather you together and deliver you.' So it shall be, may He, in His mercy, redeem us for a second time..."
סמ"ק מצוה א' עם הגהות רבינו פרץ
פרי דוד - הובא ב"ילקוט משיח וגואלה" (חלק ט"ז) יתרו כ, כ אות קל"א
ועי' ספר שומר אמונים (ראטה) דרוש הגואלה שדן בדברי הסמ"ק
See here

No comments:

Post a Comment