Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Birthday - a Time for Judgment

R. Shmuel Sofer, son of the Ksav Sofer and grandson of the famed Chasam Sofer, Rov of Pressburg, was invited to the “World Jewish Congress” in Budapest in 1869. While staying in Budapest, one of the days fell out to be on Rosh Chodesh Adar, his birthday. He instructed his attendant to not let anyone enter to see him that day. Indeed, all who came to visit him were sent away empty-handed. One Rabbi, a relative and close student, arrived and, not heeding the attendant, pushed his way into the room of the Rav. He found him sitting at his desk engulfed in tears. He looked up to him and said: “Know, today I turn 54 (נ"ד) years old, and I am judging (דן) myself to see how I utilized my years. I see that I have not properly done so; how can I not cry?!”
חוט המשולש - תולדות הרעק"א, החת"ס, והכתב סופר
See here

No comments:

Post a Comment